Most Popular Articles

Top 10 Worst Baby Products

Fun Birthday Facts and Stats

July 4th: Independence Day Facts and Statistics

21 Inspiring Motherhood Quotes

PostHeaderIcon Man-Canning | How to Can Jalapenos

Written By: Jonathan

Man-Canning | Jalapeno CartoonThe other day I was looking in the kitchen at the large amount of Jalapenos that I had grown (really it was my wife) and stole from my in-laws, and decided it was time to get my canning on! If you’re like me, you want to Spice up every meal with some good old hot sauce and or pickled Jalapenos. And like any Jack-Of-All-Trades you don’t want to buy them from the supermarket, you want to be a real man and can them yourself! So the first step of being a man is going online and buying all the goods. After all, do you really want to wait at the ever increasing lines filled with overweight people wearing there PJ’s at 3pm in the afternoon at Wal-Mart?

You will need:

• Jalapenos

Step #1
The first thing we want to do is cut the Jalapenos into nice uniform slices, I personally like mine to be on the thick side. As you cut them you should place them into a large bowl filled with cold water to let them soak. By letting them soak, the jars will not be filled with green looking vinegar at the end, instead they will be clean and clear.

Man-Canning | Jalapenos on Cutting Board

Step #2
After all the Jalapenos are cut and places in their soaking bowl, you need to sterilize all of your canning jars. You will need to follow the jar companies procedures for doing this. You can get a feel for how many jars you will need by looking at the Jalapenos you cut.

*WARNING* Do not attempt at any time to “measure” the peppers to see how many jars you need. This would not be the Man way of doing things!

Step #3
Take all of the soaking peppers and drain them in a colander, rinsing them well with cold water. Place the peppers in the sterilized jars and set them to the side. Now take a large pot and boil enough vinegar to fill all of those jars.

Man-Canning | Jalapenos in Jars

Break #1
While you are waiting for the vinegar to come to a boil, I suggest you find a fun mischievous activity to partake in. I went and told my wife that while I was cutting peppers one of them squirted me in my eye, and that I no longer wanted to hear about how bad child birth was because this was much worse. (It didn’t go over so well)

Man-Canning | Jalapeno Drink

Go get a glass of Gatorade and toss in a few fresh Jalapeno slices for flavor.

Step #4
Once the vinegar has come to a roaring boil you will need to add some canning salt. There is an exact science to the amount of salt per ounce of vinegar but I am not a scientist nor am I a woman, so I just add a “good bit”. Mix the salt and vinegar with a spoon until all the salt dissolves completely.

Step #5
Pour the vinegar and salt mixture into the jars filled with Jalapenos until they are about 1/8 from the top, then tighten the lids so that they are snug. You don’t want the lids too tight, because if you tighten them too much they will not seal properly. Now we wait.

Break #2
As we wait for the jars to seal we can plan some of the Man Meals we will be consuming with our Jalapenos. Here are some of my suggestions:

Man-Canning | Jalapeno Ice CreamJalapeno Ice Cream
There’s just something about the rick creamy goodness of Ice Cream with the burning fiery boldness of Jalapenos. Not to mention you wont have to worry about your wife trying to steal your desert.

Man-Canning | Crepes-JalapenoJalapeno Bacon Crepes
Every man needs to start his day off with a fiery kick in the pants, so what better way to do it than with Bacon and Jalapeno wrapped in a Crepe, after all Crepes are flambe’ed.

Step #6
After the jars have cooled and the lids have sealed, you will want to place the jars in the refrigerator overnight- it will help to preserve the crunch. I suggest waiting at least a week before you enjoy the fruits of your labor but that is up to you. (If you eat them too soon they will not be pickled yet.)

-Jonathan (Husband)

Jonathan (9 Posts)

Author Bio: I am the husband of Melainie and the proud father of Anneliese, the inspiration for this site. I will on occasion write an article but my main job is maintaining the back-end and working with our contributors.

Related posts:

23 Responses to “Man-Canning | How to Can Jalapenos”

• Ball Blue Book says:

Another tip, unless you want to go around crying during/after canning jalapenos either wear gloves or keep your hands far far far from your face, and DO NOT touch anywhere near your eyes*.

*speaking from experience.

• Jonathan says:

I meant to mention about the dangers of rubbing your face with pepper juice on your hands but forgot. Thanks for sharing.

• Jon says:

HAHA! Had a guy i worked with do this with habanero peppers! But, it wasn’t his face! He went to take a leak! He didn’t show up for work the next day…

• Sabrina says:

I found your recipe helpful however I also found your “overweight” comment up top offensive and completely un-necessary.

• Heather says:

Finally, a simple recipe without pickling spice my husband will love!! ( Last time I used pickling spice to can them and he said “It tastes like a sweet pickle on steroids”… he was right)! Thanks!

PS.. I think your “comments” are quite funny…

• SMILEY says:

ANOTHER OVERLY SENSITIVE WOMAN

• Jaq says:

I’m guessing that you are probably one of those middle of the day, P.J. wearing, overweight people, or the comment wouldn’t have been offensive. (peopleofwalmart.com)

And, love the recipe.

• wfgal01 says:

Nice to see a man canning. Just stopping by to see if your recipe was any different from mine, other than “the man way” of measuring about the same. Folks shouldn’t be so sensitive, I am overweight and found nothing offensive about your comment, kinda got a good chuckle.

• liz says:

Lighten up Sabrina! It’s a joke – and a funny one too. Next time you are at Walmart – take a look around at the clientele!

• lisa brown says:

Love the recipes.

• Piper says:

Do your peppers stay crispy? Totally using this method…sounds simple and delish! BTW, your walmart comment is completely accurate. I avoid the place like the plague.

• Jonathan says:

LOL, using this method I have never had a problem with my peppers going limp.

Thanks for the question.

• Sarah says:

I have to say, I wanted to learn a little about canning since we are growing our own veggies this year and stumbled upon this. I was laughing so hard about the “mancanning” that I am pretty sure the people above me now think I am insane. Needless to say, I printed this off for my husband to enjoy. It sure made my day!

• Becki Gibson says:

Perfect recipe. I used 1/8 tsp. of Ball Pickle Crisp Granules as opposed to the refrigeration method. I loved the “over weight” comment!

• Chrystina says:

Love this post! So something my hubster would write. And tell the PC policewoman to keep her emotions in check, calm down and get over herself. I’m overweight too, and thought it was funny and TRUE. Wally world is scary.

• Ali says:

You are so true about the heavy ones in pj’s at walmart. About to use recipe. Thanks for the laugh and recipe.

• Judy says:

Which kind of vinegar do you use?

Do you not need to process the jalapenos after they are put into the jars?

• Thelma says:

My brother suggested I might like this website. He was entirely right.
    This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!