Pregnancy is a trying time in any woman’s life as she has to take extra care of not only herself, but of a new life that is completely dependent on her for growth, development and support. What you eat during pregnancy has a huge impact on the health of your soon to be born baby, which is why you should know which foods you should incorporate into your diet, and which foods you should eliminate entirely when you are pregnant.
Foods You Should Have When You Are Pregnant
- Avocados: Avocados are brimming with folic acid which is vital for the development of your baby’s brain and nervous system along with a lot of other nutrients that aid in tissue and cellular development of the fetus. However, since avocados are very fattening, you should have them in moderation to avoid turning obese during pregnancy.
- Carrots: Carrots are the best choice for snacks when you are pregnant. Loaded with vitamin A, which is essential for the development of bones, eyes and teeth of your baby, carrots can be enjoyed in a variety of ways and are a good source of fiber as well.
- Spinach: Spinach is enriched with iron and folic acid which are essential for blood cell buildup required by both you and your baby. Spinach can be cooked in several different ways so that you always have a new taste on your tongue whenever you choose to make a new spinach dish.
Foods You Should Never Have While You Are Pregnant
- Fish: Almost all the fish in the world is contaminated with copious quantities of mercury and pesticides, which can cause brain damage in an unborn baby. Consuming certain kinds of fish like shark and swordfish can be deadly as ocean fish is most likely to carry high levels of mercury. This can also make your baby less intelligent as it hinders brain development. Avoid eating shellfish at all costs because it causes food poisoning.
- Cheese: Soft cheeses have a tendency of getting contaminated and one of the strains of bacteria that it attracts is Listeria Bacteria. Listeria is a leading cause of sickness for both the mother and the baby during pregnancy, often resulting in fatality. Listeria has been the cause for many late stillbirths, which is why cheeses like feta, brie, camembert and Roquefort must be avoided at all costs.
- Alcohol: This should be evident without an explanation. Alcohol consumption during pregnancy hinders a baby’s natural development. Alcohol also seeps through the placenta, clogging it up and blocking the fetus’s oxygen supply which can kill the baby. Drinking during pregnancy also causes birth-defects in children, both physical and mental. It is primarily responsible for autism and Down syndrome in children today.
Allan has a strong passion for blogging. One of Allan’s favourite topics include health related issues and especially healthy eating. Over the last 4 years, Allan has been an active contributor to health blogs and health insurance review and comparison websites.